I'd like Yammer to...

Support rich text formatting in Yammer posts

Let me use bold/italics and simple bullet points to make Yammer posts easier to read.

265 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Cindy AlvarezCindy Alvarez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    We plan to build this  ·  Emma BeedeAdminEmma Beede (Admin, Yammer) responded  · 

We’re currently looking to learn about text formatting in Yammer and your other work tools. Please fill out the following survey to help us design this feature request: bit.ly/2m4Zj7I

You will be entered in a raffle for a chance to win a $60 amazon gift card upon completing this survey. Thank you!

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LHLH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I filled out the survey, but messages change all the time, so kind of hard to provide a true example.

Standard "MS Word like " Formatting would be ideal: Colors, underline, fonts, indents, outdents, hyperlinks, MS teams provides some great features and good organization, but it limits itself to how many people can be part of a team. Yammer does not which is great, but Yammer is so limited that messages are lost and key information is hard to find.

• SaschaSascha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Markdown as in so many other tools would be great. WYSIWYG does not necessarily have to be (it's IMHO overrated ;-)).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also ability to use hyperlinked words in posts would be good, so we would not need to post the whole URL. Thanks.

• Office 365 Japan Support TeamOffice 365 Japan Support Team commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope the feature enabling to modify characters, such as font, type sizes, boldface and text color changing for general Posts on Yammer to be implemented. It would be great if viewers will be able to see the posted messages easily on the screen along with the decorated text containing an emphasis expression.

• Ajith NairAjith Nair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes very much needed feature, can't wait for it to be released. Would make posts so much more reader friendly and could highlight important facts.

• Frank DyrhovdenFrank Dyrhovden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pondering on using Yammer for some of our automated routines as information to the user community. Would be very interesting to do HTML formatting (bolding, italics, font size, tables).

Ok, add a look on your survey. It is too complex to makes me comfortable to fill it. What I would like to have in Yammer, is basic support: bold, underline, italic, scratch, list. with a well know existing format, like markdown.

• Emma BeedeAdminEmma Beede (Admin, Yammer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We’re currently looking to learn about text formatting in Yammer and your other work tools. Please fill out the following survey to help us design this feature request: bit.ly/2m4Zj7I

You will be entered in a raffle for a chance to win a $60 amazon gift card upon completing this survey. Thank you!

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started using Yammer yesterday. I use it for updates on a rich topic on a weekly basis. I do not wish to spam people with different posts, so I need to structure the update in two or three blocks, optionally with a bullet list which then link to our wikis. I was so super surprised that not even the most basic formatting was supported (even just support for bold would have made my day)... I agree with the folks here. Get some basic Markdown support added please. This should be quick enough to do, we can worry about WYSIWYG later. The ability to display pasted links in a shorter way would be nice as well. Even if you'd automatically ellipse them, e.g. https://myconfluence....news-update-on-stuff or just display them as a [LINK] would be better than displaying pasted multi-line links.

• Simon ElmsSimon Elms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see similar formatting to JIRA. They seem to have hit the sweet spot between being too simple and too complex (WikiMedia I'm thinking of you). For example, mostly I just use bold, underline and italics. However, line and block quotes are really useful at times and they would be even more useful in a Yammer conversation, when I want to comment on a specific quote from someone else's comment.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There doesn't seem to be any way to upvote comments here, but I'd like to add my voice to those asking for markdown support. Please ship this ASAP, a WYSIWYG editor would be nice, but is by no means essential. Ship markdown first and ship the editor later if it is required.

@Cindy Alvarez: Would you have any idea of when this feature would be available ?
        If we want to have a bit of a structured conversation, this is really mandatory. Thanks !

• Jeremy CaneyJeremy Caney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding support for Markdown. Skype already supports this (at least the personal edition), and it's also integrated in popular competitors, such as Slack. Even if there's WYSIWYG support, it would be nice to be able to additionally support Markdown since it's quickly becoming a ubiquitous formatting convention.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base