I'd like Yammer to...

Officially deprecate Yammer API since it’s no longer supported

Yammer REST API works most of the times, not always. Some random block of messages from our network are not returned when calling Yammer API.

I have opened 2 tickets with Microsoft. We have been able to prove to Microsoft that Yammer API (messages.json and messages/in_group/:group_id.json) is not returning block of messages in its response.

Using Yammer Data Export and Yammer UI, Microsoft team verified that the messages do indeed exist in our network, its a public Yammer group to which the user has access.

Microsoft Support and Yammer Product Group(PG) acknowledge that Yammer REST API does not work as documented. But PG team refuses to fix the bugs. They suggest us not to use Yammer REST API and try using Data Export or O365 API instead.

Please make it public that Yammer API is deprecated, not supported and should no longer be used.

Please update your documentation so developers are aware and can make an informed choice before using Yammer API.

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

VinayVinay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    We've read this  ·  Emma BeedeAdminEmma Beede (Admin, Yammer) responded  · 

The Yammer REST API was originally built for use with Yammer’s native clients and therefore has certain limitations. Depending on your use case, a combination of the REST API and the data export API will often be able to solve the issues you are facing.
    Additionally, there are currently discussions ongoing about the next generation of the Yammer API as a replacement of the v1 API that is documented on developer.yammer.com. In the meantime, we do not plan to remove the documentation of the API since it is still supported and the only supported way for third party clients to interact with the Yammer service.
    For any more specific questions, please continue to work with support.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VinayVinay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If REST API V1 still supported, why is PG refusing to fix known issues?

Yammer Data Export is not feasible option for most web based scenarios.

Either fix known bugs in Yammer API, publish known issues publicly. More transparency will be appreciated.

O365 Premier Support team seems helpless and dependent upon Product Group to fix known issues.

Feedback and Knowledge Base